low sugar gluten free cookie bars
My family has a special Christmas cookie recipe we got from a neighbor when I was growing up, called Susan’s Sugar Cookies. Now, I have already passed that recipe down to the rest of the Brown family to use at Christmastime, but I have recently started eating much cleaner and gluten free so I wanted to try and make something similar with my gluten free baking mix. I adapted a recipe from He and She Eat Clean, Their Not So Sugar Cookies, and with my family’s recipe, made a cookie bar that is much lower on the guilt scale.
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 Tbsp molasses
1/3 tsp Stevia
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla (avoid HFCS) (or in my family’s case 1/2 tsp almond extract)
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Add in remaining ingredients.
2. Roll dough into a ball. Place dough in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Roll out dough (pressing by hand is easiest) on a lightly floured baking sheet and cut into cookies or use a cookie cutter.
5. Make for 8-10 minutes.
6. Cut into bars if simply rolled out on a sheet.